Oct 1, 2006

Scanning your contacts list.

For nearly a year, I've had a remarkable piece of technology that not enough people know about - the Cardscan Business Card Scanner (Cardscan was formerly called Corex). They have a variety of products, including an updated version of their software since I bought my unit. However, in comparison to the other products on the market, the Cardscan scanner (no matter the flavour) is outstanding.

I started out wanting to get what I figured was over 300 contacts into my Palm Tungsten E. Impatient as I am, I went out to Staples and picked up the Targus Mini Business Card Scanner. I found that the scanner unit worked fine, but the kicker – the software – was lacking, at best. The software was very poor on recognition, very slow, and while it did transfer to Palm Desktop well, the OCR was very low – perhaps 65% accuracy.

Frustrated, I started to think there must be something better out there, so I downloaded a copy of Cardscan’s v6.x software for demo, from their website. The accuracy was astounding when compared side-by-side with the Targus software (Newsoft Inc.’s Presto! Bizcard 5 – just as well, as the use of “Biz” is a scourge in itself). I immediately ordered the Cardscan Executive (note that the link shows the new version), and it arrived soon enough. What a great combination of hardware and software.

The colour scanner is fast, efficient, and rarely has a problem – usually with thicker cards. The cards feed in landscape mode, making scanning quick, and you can scan multiple cards at a time (I normally do up to 20) before it starts the recognition processing. While this can take a while due to the complexity, it is certainly quick enough – I normally do the scanning when on a conference call or when I am also processing something mindless.

To put it to the test, I recently brought it to a conference where our company received over 200 cards to process. It made very short work of them. For the next one, I would like to try Cardscan’s Lead Qualifier, which is designed for use at trade shows like the one I was at.

I would be very wary of anything that bundles with the Newsoft Inc. software. However, the Cardscan products are wonderful pieces of software and hardware technology, and are highly recommended.

Technorati Tags:, , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

No comments: