Feb 6, 2006

Actually, I'm feeling kind of harried...

This has been one of those crazy, hectic times where you wonder where the day goes.  By the end of it, you’re just happy that it’s over, and that you’ve managed to accomplish something.  However, these are the times that show exactly how effective GTD can be.

I admit (sorry, SWMBO) that I left work late tonight – in a bid to ensure that I had emptied all of my in-baskets.  I am going to be super-busy tomorrow, the continuation of a 2.5 week trend, so I prioritized those few tasks that I must do tomorrow morning, to ensure they get done before I head off on my merry, busy way.  I will once again be in and out of the office.  But this is where GTD shines.

On my Palm Tungsten E handheld, my lists are with me.  I can make my calls, I can hammer away at other tasks – anything that doesn’t need my computer or my office, I can do while I’m in my car.  All because I have my lists.  I’ve also started to take a page from Michael Hyatt in his blog article Working Smart: Recovering the Lost Art of Note-Taking, although this only reinforces something I never did under the Covey system – the Daily Record of Events.  Within my notes I also record all of my voicemail messages, with this notebook becoming an indispensable part of my “trusted system”.

The thing is, GTD doesn’t make these periods any less busy.  But it does make them much more manageable and much less stressful.

No comments: