Aug 2, 2007

Universal Capture Tools - Only one?

I'm getting active on my blog again. That must mean I'm getting active in GTD again. That's a very good thing, as even though I've lamented in many posts that I haven't done a Weekly Review yet (which means, as we all know, that "I'm Not Doing GTD!"), I'm starting to feel like I've gained a little bit of control - perhaps just a little.

That also means that my interest in GTD has peaked, and much of my on-line time wasting is used to read blogs and websites, and search for stuff that is GTD related. I'll give you an example. I'm starting to thing about improving my capture of "stuff", especially when I'm mobile. I've read dozens of people online raving about their Levenger Shirt Pocket Briefcase, and have searched for them everywhere. Being in Canada - no retail, so only over the web. I'm loathe to fork out $40USD for a 3X5 card holder, even though I know the president of my old firm had one and it was quite a neat thing. There must be something similar, right? Can't find anything. Levenger's reputation is huge, so why would I fight it?

Then my father-in-law came to visit, a dyed-in-the-wool geologist, and he had this Rite-In-The-Rain top-spiral 3"X5" notebook, which quite frankly looks like it will suit my needs. I have used those cheap 3"x5" notebooks before, where the covers get torn because they are flimsy cardboard, etc. This has a durable plastic cover, and looks like it could withstand a beating. Hey, check the whole site out - they have military application notebooks, even one that's totally waterproof. Neat stuff.

So, now what do I do? 4 bucks for a tough notebook, or $40 for a sexy note card holder. Who knows. I'll probably just keep up what I'm doing, even though it seems like there are times when I'm not capturing stuff.

However, why do I need one? I use a Blackberry 8703e (87XX in BB speak) as my UCD and my carry-around organizing system. The unit is very slick, does everything very well, and is only lacking a couple of things. For example - I'd love to be able to make a new task from an e-mail. Anyone that can help me with that, please post! That said, I don't use it for capture much, mostly for reviewing, and I'm terrible for using it with my lists. I've got NextAction for Blackberry (or see the link to the right), but am not using it effectively. I've not really sat down with it to give it a good whirl, but I'm going to start doing just that. There are many posts on the David Allen Company website that I'm following, and I'm hoping that will give me a guide. Once I've got it working, I'll post more about the software. It looks to be a great implementation though.

So I have this great thing on my hip, but I still want a notebook or somthing else to write on. Perhaps I'm de-volving and need a feather quill as well? Who knows. More later.

No comments: