Oct 7, 2007

Overwhelmed by outdated lists.

I have been struggling t get back onto Getting Things Done for a long time. One of the things that was blocking me effectively was a lack of weekly reviews, which lead to crippling and disorganzied Next Action lists that had not been pruned, weeded, de-duplicated - but it was overwhelming. There was a particular client where I had multiple tasks, and they were in fact no longer a client. The tasks had all been done.

The frustration level was very high, and I resolved just to plow through them and, in place of a weekly review, get rid of everythng that was old or outdated or duplicated. Then I realized - that is a good deal of what the weekly review is about. The action has caused me to feel less numbed by my previous inaction.

So there it is - GTD is about ACTION. Getting Things Done is descriptive not of a system, but of the actions that you pursue.

No comments: