May 20, 2007

Standing still in a blur / NextAction! for Blackberry

Well, last Sunday to today has been a blur. I really got a lot accomplished on Sunday, but it's been a whirlwind since then.

We've had a VERY busy crunch at work, and so I've had to roll up my sleeves with the rest of our producers and start working assignments. I've got too many things on the go, too many balls in the air, and I'm starting to feel very overwhelmed.

Once again, the week went by without a WR. I let everything get away from me very quickly, and then was working from another city towards the end of the week. Ah well. This week, being a short week, is going to be tough, but I'm determined to get through one WR. Just one.



Onto another note - integrating GTD with the Blackberry. One of the big challenges is the way the Blackberry handles tasks. The BB's task function is frankly terrible - it stinks. It lists all the tasks, but it does not let you sort anything by categories. That's where NextAction! for Blackberry comes in. It lets you view your Outlook tasks by contexts, it lets you select which category labels on the BB and Outlook you want to show up in NextAction!, and it just plain works really well.

I only have two complaints. You have to add tasks either in Outlook or in the BB task applet, you can't add them through NextAction!. That's actually OK for me, as I use the computer to do my WR (when I do one!), but to add a task on the go you have to put it into the Task applet. Frankly, I throw them in, don't categorize them right away, and process them during my review - unless it's a phone call. The other complaint is that it doesn't let you read the items that are in the notes for your tasks - so my solution to using "agendas" does get a little buggered on my BB, as I can't read the agenda items I have for each person. However, in general it works. I recommend it in the absence of anything else for the Blackberry.

For really early (and stable) software, though, this one is quite good.

No comments: