Dec 14, 2005

Task lists and label makers

Well, over the past three days, I was very successful in working through my task list. Naturally, I didn't get all of them done, but I did make progress on a big project that had been stuck, and got it moved. I whacked through a bunch of "Next Actions", hacked through my in-basket on both days, and felt like I got a lot accomplished in a short time. Too many out-of-office meetings the last two days means that I haven't had the chance to really move on stuff, but I've been keeping the incoming stuff under control. I'm very happy with where I am, but hope to make some larger breakthroughs soon, maybe this weekend.

In fact, I think that may be what keeps me motivated. I keep working, hoping that immediately before I feel the "mind like water", I have a "EUREKA!" moment. It's coming. I already feel like the rushing river has at least turned into a small lake, with defined edges. Yes, the wind ripples the water a lot, and the currents can still pull you under, but at least they aren't constantly visibile in a rushing torrent that threatens to pull me under. I consider that real progress.

I took David Allen's advice (surprise) on another issue - a labeller. Well, I sort of took his advice, I didn't buy the optional AC adapter that is the same price as the labeller that I got (*blink*). Admittedly, the unit I bought had a $30 inducement in the form of a mail-in rebate. I decided on the Brother P-Touch PT-1280, which has the rebate on it until December 31st, 2005. I had put off a buying decision for a bit, as I thoguht the best/easiest/quickest/most practical solution would have been a computer-based printer such as the PT-1500PC or the Dymo Labelwriter 330 Turbo. I think my PT-1280 is a wonder. It's right beside me in my desk drawer. It doesn't require that my laptop is up and running. It doesn't take up a USB port. I just pull it out, tap out the label on the QWERTY keyboard, hit Print, and cut the label. Done. I'm going to buy one of the PC connected ones for our receptionist, who has a desktop, but this little Brother unit is outstanding - any handheld is. 6 'AAA' batteries is a little much, but we'll see how long they last before I complain. The thing just works.

Now, here's the kicker. I have, so far, printed ONE LABEL. That's how effective this thing seems to be. It won me over immediately. I completedly understand why David Allen has recommend it in his book and recommend that you don't share.

I should mention something about Staples - they have a great online system for registering for "mail-in" rebates. You go online, follow the instructions, enter the information from the receipt, and you're done. Outstanding of them to make the wait the hardest part of the whole process.

No comments: